- Join / Donate
SGR Newsletter 42
Feature articles cover: UK military R&D and alternatives; sustainable communities; Arctic ice cap melting; nuclear weapons proliferation via nuclear power; honesty in medical science; climate change and shale gas
- Offensive insecurity: the role of science and technology in UK security strategies
Dr Stuart Parkinson, Barnaby Pace and Dr Philip Webber summarise the findings of SGR’s latest report, which uncovers detailed new data on the funding priorities for new military technologies and compares these with funding for civilian R&D that helps to tackle the roots of conflict.
- Environmental cohousing: a contribution to sustainable living
Dr Jan Maskell discusses the potential of environmental cohousing to encourage and support sustainable living. She describes the recently completed Lancaster Cohousing project in the UK as an example of what can be achieved.
- Arctic ice cap melt: when will we reach the tipping point?
Recent climate research points to grim prospects for the Arctic ice cap. Vanessa Spedding reports on current scientific opinion.
- The UK’s role in nuclear proliferation: then and now
Dr David Lowry examines the historical role of Britain’s civilian nuclear exports in the weapons programmes of countries like North Korea, and fears that the latest government initiatives will lead to history repeating itself.
- Obstacles to honesty in science: the case of medical research
Dr Peter Wilmshurst has worked in the medical sciences for over 30 years. His focus has become the investigation of research misconduct which, he argues, is far more common than is publicly acknowledged, and largely due to the power of corporate interests.
- Fossil Fuels: more than we can safely burn
Martin Quick CEng discusses concerns about tar sands and shale gas in relation to the drastic reductions in fossil fuel use shown to be needed by the latest IPCC report.
- New SGR report exposes offensive weapons R&D (see also this press release)
- SGR moves into eco-village
- A few words from the Director...
- Updates on SGR activities including:
- contributing to the latest international nuclear disarmament efforts;
- helping to produce a short film for schoolchildren on climate change and conflict; and
- speaking out against arms and fossil fuel sponsorship of science fairs
- Obituaries for George Finch and Howard Liddell
- Top books of last 21 years
- Confronting the Bomb: Pakistani and Indian Scientists Speak Out
- Rediscovering Sustainability: Economics of the Finite Earth
- Publication type: