Scientists for Global Responsibility's environmental policy lays out how we strive to minimise the direct environmental impacts of the organisation's activities.
Environmental policy statement
Scientists for Global Responsibility recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our Constitution, organisational strategy and operating methods. We will encourage all stakeholders to do the same.
All employees and volunteers have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We endeavour to:
- Comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and improve our environmental performance through reducing our environmental impacts including our emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants.
- Incorporate environmental factors into organisational decisions.
- Involve all employees and volunteers in the implementation of this policy and increase their awareness as necessary.
- Encourage our stakeholders to take similar actions and to increase their awareness.
Consumption and waste
- We will seek to reduce or minimise the amount of energy, water and other consumables we use as much as possible.
- In sourcing our energy and other consumables we will opt for very low carbon and renewable sources wherever possible.
- We will take into account energy consumption, efficiency and environmental impact of products when purchasing.
- We will evaluate if our needs can be met in alternative ways.
- We will minimise and reduce our waste as much as possible, and reuse and recycle wherever possible.
- We will reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessity trips only.
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We will encourage the use of public transport or bicycles.
- We will involve staff, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training.
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce energy consumption and help the community.